Login
Welcome to Jinlun Owners
Monday, September 15 2014 @ 02:00 AM UTC
 Forum Index >  Jinlun bike owners Chat Forums! >  jinlun motorcycle chat
 Jinlun JL250P Running Lean
First | Previous | 1 2 | Next | Last    |  Printable Version
By: T.Shaw (offline)  Wednesday, April 04 2012 @ 08:32 PM UTC (Read 596 times)  
T.Shaw

Hey guys,
I got a 2009 Jinlun JL250P that is running very lean. I replaced both spark plugs. Checked for spark on both and they seem to be working so i figured the ingnition coils are still good. I have took out the carbs and completly cleaned them and the jets and I have checked for air leaks and fuel leaks and found nothing. I just cant seem to figure this out. The bike startes fine but as soon as you give it throttle it boggs down and tries to die. So you have to release the throttle to keep it running no matter how warm the engine is. I live in USA, Kansas so altittude shouldnt be an issue.

I stuffed some paper in the intake box and this greatly helped (by clogging the airway). I actually got to ride it but it ran very boggy and I couldnt do over 40 mph. I dont like that "paper fix" idea I read about on another forum anyway haha!

I have been reading about people drilling the main jets in the carbs bigger. They say it is a stock 92 jet. Is this a good idea?

Do you guys have any suggestions or know what I should do next? Any inpute is greatly appriciated.

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

Profile Email    

By: dingbat28 (offline)  Wednesday, April 04 2012 @ 10:33 PM UTC  
dingbat28

If its running lean your best bet will be a color tune kit, there will be some screws on the carbs to adjust the mixture, if they are the same as the side by side twins over in UK the screws are by the manifold undeneath.

Enjoy Smile

Time for a midlife crisis me thinks. Coventry
Forum Active Member

Group Comfort
Level:
: +17

Profile Email Website  

By: T.Shaw (offline)  Wednesday, April 04 2012 @ 10:53 PM UTC  
T.Shaw

Quote by: dingbat28

If its running lean your best bet will be a color tune kit, there will be some screws on the carbs to adjust the mixture, if they are the same as the side by side twins over in UK the screws are by the manifold undeneath.

Enjoy Smile

Hey thanks so much for your reply.

Okay, I have located the 2 brass screws. Which way do I turn them to make the mixture run richer? Clockwise, or Counter-Clockwise? and do you recommend a full turn or just very slight turns? How touchy are these?

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:

Profile Email    

By: T.Shaw (offline)  Thursday, April 05 2012 @ 12:11 AM UTC  
T.Shaw

Okay I did a little research and from what I have read,, sounds like you turn the screws on the bottom of the carburater Counter-Clockwise to make it run Richer, Clockwise to make it run Leaner.

I would still like someone to comfirm this though that knows this first hand if possible?

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:

Profile Email    

By: robin1 (offline)  Thursday, April 05 2012 @ 07:56 AM UTC  
robin1

could try a colourtune

Forum Regular Member

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4

Profile Email    

By: dingbat28 (offline)  Thursday, April 05 2012 @ 11:39 AM UTC  
dingbat28
Forum Active Member

Group Comfort
Level:

Profile Email Website  

By: Thwaitie (offline)  Thursday, April 05 2012 @ 12:44 PM UTC  
Thwaitie

Quote by: T.Shaw

Okay I did a little research and from what I have read,, sounds like you turn the screws on the bottom of the carburater Counter-Clockwise to make it run Richer, Clockwise to make it run Leaner.

I would still like someone to comfirm this though that knows this first hand if possible?

Yup, correct.
Would also recommend use of a colortuner, and a carb balancer, plus make a note of the screws present settings, adding any adjustments so you can always return back to their starting defaults.

I believe most carbs are initially setup by fully seating the screws clockwise, and then opening back up 1.5 turns.

But for trial adjustments the screws should be equally turned, only an extra 1/8 or 1/4 turns between road tests.
If no noticeable improvement is found before reaching an extra 1 full turn, then start looking elsewhere, such as balancing twin carbs.

Gary

Gary

Forum Regular Member

Group Comfort
Level:
: +3

Profile Email Website  

By: T.Shaw (offline)  Thursday, April 05 2012 @ 06:24 PM UTC  
T.Shaw

Okay thanks guys. Ill be picking up a colortune kit asap. What size 'mm" colortune kit do I get for the Jinlun JL250P plugs?

Do i set up the color tune and then start adjusting the jets until I see nothing but blue spark while increasing throttle? Is this correct?

Sorry for all the questions. haha

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:

Profile Email    

By: dingbat28 (offline)  Friday, April 06 2012 @ 04:29 PM UTC  
dingbat28

My link above shows you exactly how to do it.

Enjoy Smile

Forum Active Member

Group Comfort
Level:

Profile Email Website  

By: T.Shaw (offline)  Sunday, April 08 2012 @ 06:38 AM UTC  
T.Shaw

Quote by: dingbat28

My link above shows you exactly how to do it.

Enjoy Smile

When I click that link this is what pops up;

Access Denied
Access to this page is denied. Either the page has been moved/removed or you do not have sufficient permissions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really need that link to work though. I dont know what I am doing with this colortune kit.
Is there anywhere locally here in the States where I can purchase one of these colortune kits? Such as Autozone or Orielly's Auto. I searched both there websites and could not find them. Does Walmart carry somthing like this by chance?

I also went ahead and replaced the battery in the bike with a brand new one today. I adjusted the carbs to runnig richer but this didnt change anything either.
So far I have Cleaned the Carb and Jets. Replaced the spark Plugs. Replaced 1 of the Ignition Coils. Installed a new battery. Cleaned the air filter. The symptoms are exactly the same. It starts up great, and sounds great. I jump on her to ride and she just wont go. The more throttle I give the engine gets lowder but boggier and no power. I might be able to hit 40 mph. Only way I can even remotely ride is if I stuff wods of paper into the intake box nearly blocking it.

Any increase in throttle bogs down the engine unless the intake is being blocked. This sucks. I am getting frustrated haha.

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:

Profile Email    

First | Previous | 1 2 | Next | Last